Monday, June 23, 2014

Daily Life in Germany: Waste Management

When we were first arrived in Germany (10 months ago!), we already knew that waste management was much more strict here than what we were accustomed to in North Carolina.  I have always been proud of my recycling efforts, but living in Germany requires a diligence to recycling that was not necessary in the US. 

Garbage bin and recycling bin

In NC, we had a massive garbage can, multiple bins for recycling, and the collectors came around on a weekly basis.  In Germany, we have a MUCH smaller garbage can, a compost bin, and special yellow bags for recycling plastic packaging, Styrofoam, and cans.  The worst part, though, is that everything is collected only once every two weeks!!!  Luckily, there is no limit on the number of bags you can put out for recycling, which leads to complete diligence about separating recyclable packaging.

bags for recycling
We have to put food scraps into a city compost bin, which also is only collected every two weeks.  This wasn't such a problem in the winter, but now that it is summer, the heat makes the bin moldy and stinky.  Cleaning the bin after compost pick-up day makes me gag every time!

For glass and paper products, we have to take it to the recycling center and put everything in the correct bin.  Luckily, I only have to go a quarter mile to get to the closest recycling center. 

 
Most glass and plastic drink bottles have to be returned to the store, where you get your money back (25 cents for most plastic bottles). I remember doing this growing up in New York, but I have never had to do this in my 15 years of living the Southern states. 
 

For my family of four, we end up with about 2-3 half-full bags of garbage by the time garbage collection comes around, but the compost bin is full to the top.  We have never filled up the garbage bin, so I guess that means we are recycling everything properly.  I have heard from others that it gets really tricky after you have a party.  Right now I am hording some old electronics in the basement because I have no idea what to do with them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment