Monday, January 12, 2015

The Sounds of Silence

Wow.  After the last five months I feel like I can finally breath easy again.  My German course is endlich over, the Christmas tree is out by the curb, and the kids are back to school.  We made it through the holidays.  Phew.



But we had an AMAZING holiday season!  We did so many fun things and I hope to share as much as I can here on the blog.  My mom and my sister came to visit, which was so special, and I was so sad to see them leave.

Me and my mom

We had so much fun going to the Christmas Market in Ulm.  December seemed milder this year than last year, so we were at the market more frequently. The kids were really interested in going to the Christmas market, and I often took them after school.  I had hoped to visit some of the other Christmas markets, but we always had such a good time at the one here in our own town that our ambition to make road trips wasn't too great.


For the first time in a LONG time (almost 20 years?) I had the opportunity to celebrate Hanukkah with other Jewish families.  Over the last year I have met two Israeli families, who have invited us to celebrate the Jewish holidays in their homes.  I was so happy that my kids have the opportunity to see that other families also celebrate Jewish holidays.

Our collection of Menorahs from four Jewish families.

Chanukkah craft with my daughter's class.

My absolute favorite thing about living in Germany is learning about the cultures of our friends here. My friends from Slovenia taught me how to properly roast chestnuts over an open fire and make mulled white wine.  Our friends from Denmark threw a fantastic traditional Danish Christmas luncheon that had around eight courses, and almost as many different kinds of schnapps!
  
Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.

Drinking gluhwein with friends on a cold
winter's night.

After all the excitement of the holiday season, January usually seems a bit dull.  But to be honest, I am loving the sounds of silence in my house right now.  I can easily say that 2014 was the best year of my life, and I can't wait to see what 2015 has in store.  Hopefully lots of Alpine skiing!!

Our first attempt at skiing this season.
(Schetteregg, Austria)

No comments:

Post a Comment