Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Picking Flowers

Yesterday was a warm, sunny day with a high in the mid-80's.  We probably should have gone to the lake for the afternoon, but we went to the grocery store instead.  On our way home we stopped at one of the many roadside spots where you can cut flowers for a modest price.


Most of the lots I have seen around my house only have gladiolas and sunflowers.  I am a sunflower fanatic (I even have a sunflower tattoo), and am happy as can be that I can keep my vases stocked with blooms for the rest of the summer. 
 

 We ended up bringing home 5 stems of gladiolas, and 3 sunflowers.  The kids loved this, and would gladly have picked every flower in the field. 


On the board behind Ryan in the picture below lists the prices and has a can where you deposit the money.  Gladiolas were 0.60/stem and the sunflowers were 0.50/stem.


I love when I drive/bike/run past these fields of flowers, and they always make me smile.  I am sure that there are similar places in the US, but I don't recall ever seeing one anywhere I have lived (and I have lived in quite a few places).  This week we are also hoping to go pick raspberries at a field by our house.  I have picked blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, but never in my life have I been raspberry picking, so I am looking forward to it, and hoping that pick-your-own will also mean that they are very cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment