Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Road Tripping to the Heart of Tuscany

The kids have two weeks for Spring Break, so we packed up the Passat and headed south to Italy for a week.  For this trip we decided on Tuscany and Venice, with the dream of finding some of that Tuscan Dolce Vita we hear so much about. 

From Ulm, it took us about ten hours (two extra hours due to heavy traffic on the mountain passes) to drive to San Gimignano, which is a small town south of Florence.  Since our last vacation was to Rome, I thought it would be a good idea to stay in the country somewhere so the kids would have space to explore, and I chose an agriturismo called Il Borghetto
The main building at Il Borghetto
The kids had lots of space to play and explore.
It was an absolutely beautiful villa set among olive groves and vineyards, and we were able to have an apartment with a private garden where we drank coffee in the morning while the kids climbed fig trees.   
 
Morning coffee and chess in the garden

I wish my fig bush was this big!
The owners offer dinner at the agriturismo a few nights per week, and we ate there twice during our visit.  The food was ridiculously delicious, and had us making all of those oohing/aahhing/groaning/moaning sounds associated with a fantastic meal.  I regret that I was not able to attend one of the weekly on-site cooking classes, because I would love to make food that good. 
 
Dinner at the agriturismo
 
From Il Borghetto, we made day trips into San Gimignano, Florence, Volterra, and Sienna.  While we enjoyed visiting these towns, hands-down we preferred to spend time at the resort.  If it had been warm enough to use the pool, we probably would have never left!
 

 

In coming posts I will share more pictures and stories from the trip.  Looking at all of these pictures reminds me how beautiful that area is, but to be honest, I never found that Zen feeling that one expects from a vacation.  I think that I tried to pack too much into one trip, and that we should have saved Venice for a separate trip.  We had been planning this as our last trip to Italy for a while so that we could explore some other areas in Germany and Europe, so I was trying to cram in as much as I could.  Hopefully I have learned my lesson, and will remember this in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment