Friday, November 22, 2013

Winter is Coming...

I grew up in New York State, and my husband grew up in Wisconsin, so we have a bit of background with harsh winters.  However, we both moved to South Carolina to attend Clemson University, and have lived in southern states for our entire adult lives.  This has left us unprepared and anxious about the impending long winter here in Germany.  We both did lots of snow shoveling as kids, but we have never had the responsibility of winter home maintenance. 

Cold and foggy morning

There are signs of Winter preparations all around us.  I have been seeing snow plows everyday this week, but have yet to see a snowflake.  People are preparing their yards, and trimming bushes like it is their full-time job (and making me feel a bit guilty for my lack of bush-trimming).  We have gone to the home improvement store and gotten snow shovels, scrapers for our cars, and salt for the porch steps.  There are very specific laws regarding the removal of snow, ice, and icicles from your property, and if you are found to be neglectful of your winter responsibilities, you can be fined 500 Euros, or be on the losing end of a lawsuit should someone have a slip on your portion of sidewalk or porch steps.   
Ready for snow!
We still need to get winter tires for my car, which you are required to have by law.  Your winter tires are supposed to be on your car from October to Easter, and you will be fined 40 Euro, and one point added to your driving record if found to not have your winter tires on at the appropriate time.  If you are involved in an accident in wintery conditions and found to not be in compliance, the fee is doubled.  

Winter clothes and accessories have become a big issue in our house.  There is a saying that 'There is no bad weather, only bad clothing.'  This is a great notion, but unfortunately we don't have all the appropriate clothing we need for a long winter.  Mornings are frantic with 'where are your gloves?!?!' or 'Meredith, sparkly mary-janes aren't appropriate for playing in the cold mud!  Put on your snow boots!'  The gloves that we used three times per winter in coastal North Carolina are already deemed to be not warm enough for November in Germany.  My feet are freezing in my leather boots, even with two pairs of socks!  What is a girl to do, except go boot shopping?

My morning walk route

I know that I am whining about how cold it is...I hope that all of my friends and family who live in cold climates will please forgive me and stop rolling their eyes.  Luckily, it is only Dan and I who are nervous about winter.  The kids are thrilled at the prospect of playing in the snow and going sledding.  The temperature is cold enough, we are just waiting for the snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment